Top 10 Benefits of Regular Physical Activity
Our fast-paced society has made us forget how important a regular physical activity in our lives. Here are its ten benefits:
1. Reduces the risk of acquiring various illnesses. If you’re always worried about heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, and obesity, why not take a break from your busy life and do some exercises? Exercising or performing any physical activities on a daily basis has been proven to boosts high-density lipoprotein (HDL), keeps your blood flowing smoothly. As a result, your chances of having cardiovascular diseases will greatly reduced.
2. Boosts cardiorespiratory and muscular fitness. When doing a physical activity, the ability of the respiratory system in supplying oxygen to skeletal muscles will greatly improved. This means that every time you jog, work out, or play any sports, your heart doesn’t only benefit, but also your muscles.
3. Improves metabolism and makes weight loss more effective. Did you know that engaging in a physical activity can burn calories? The more intense the activity, the greater amount of calories you can melt. It’s not a problem if you don’t have enough time to hit the gym. Think differently, instead. While going to the office, try the stairs rather than the elevator. And if it’s near, try walking.
4. Reduces stress, depression, and anxiety. It’s not unusual to hear someone experiencing chronic stressed due to their challenging 9-5 day jobs. The solution? Engage in any physical activity. Experts have confirmed the efficiency of physical activities in reducing stress, depression, and anxiety.
5. Maintains brain function. Physical activities aren’t only beneficial to the heart, lungs, and muscle, but also to the brain. This is, in fact, more advantageous for older adults as they need to maintain their brain function as they aged.
6. Improves regular bowel movements. Health experts have confirmed that a regular physical activity doesn’t only make us fit, but also treats constipation and promotes activity in the digestive tract.
7. Increases the density of the bones. A healthy bone, just like muscle, doesn’t develop by its own. It became healthy and strong due to exercises or doing any physical activities such as sports.
8. Maintains the looks and agility. When we encounter someone who is old but still looks young and can move graciously, we often assume that they’re vegetarians (sort of). But if you ask them about their secret, you might be surprised that it’s not only their healthy diet, but also physical activities.
9. Enhances the quality of sleep. If you’re struggling to fall asleep faster tonight, try doing some physical activities the next day. Then do it again the next day. You’ll see how it can improve your sleep quality. Health experts confirmed that having a regular physical activity can help deepen sleep and make us sleep faster.
10. Improves the quality of our lives. Imagine waking up every day without doing anything physical. How would you describe your life? If you walk to your office, that’s good. If you do some stretching, that’s good. But admit it, involving in a physical activity like sports or exercises is completely different. It boosts the overall mood—making our lives happier and healthier.