XAT 2017 – An Overview
Xavier School of Management, Xavier Labour Relations Institute (XLRI), Jamshedpur conducts Xavier Aptitude Test (XAT) every year. It is a national-level management Entrance Exam and is given on pen and paper. On 8th January, 2017 XAT was held from 10:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Registration for XAT 2017 closed on November 30, 2016. However, students could apply till December 11, 2016 with additional late fee. Xavier Association of Management (XAMI) authorizes XLRI to conduct the exam on their behalf. XAT scores are valid at more than 100 institutes for admission to MBA, PGDM and other management courses.
Three management courses each of two years are offered at XLRI which are: Human Resource Management (HRM), Business Management Programme (BM), and Global MBA Programme.
Many changes in the test pattern of XAT were announced last year by the official people. The changes are:
- The total numbers of questions were brought down to 78 in the main question paper (Verbal and Logical Ability, Decision Making, Quantitative Ability and Data Interpretation sections).
- Time was increased by 20 minutes therefore; candidates had 170 minutes to answer the main question paper. Previously, the total time for objective part of the test was 150 minutes.
- In order to motivate students attempt more questions with precision, XAT 2017 question paper was created in such a manner that that the top hundred students must be able to complete the test within 170 minutes. The thought behind this is to reduce the low range of scores and encourage students to do well.
- A negative marking of .05 marks per question will be deducted only after 13 questions have been left un-attempted. Hence, students have a choice of not attempting up to 13 questions.
- There’d also be negative marking of 0.25 marks every incorrect answer.
- Number of questions in GK section has been decreased to 25. But, the time to answer GK and Essay section remains same – 35 minutes.
- There’s no negative marking in GK section.
Who all can sit for XAT?
The eligibility criterion of XAT is not the strict. Students who can apply for XAT must be:
- Bachelor from any recognized college with a course of minimum 3 years duration or equivalent in any discipline.
- Students still in final year and will complete the final year by June 10, 2017 can also apply.
There is no specific age limit for XAT. The eligibility for XLRI programmes like Business Management and Human Resource Management are similar. But candidates with three year work experience will be given preference in Global Business Management. NRI and Foreign candidates may apply through GMAT scores.
The result of XAT 2017 will be out somewhere in the third week of January. More than 90,000 students sit for this entrance examination each year. The result of XAT 2017 is uploaded online. All the students must frequently check the official website. Once XATResults are declared, XAT Counseling Process will begin. The counseling for XAT is via online method.
Several other premier B-Schools will also accept XAT 2017 result and not only the participating colleges of XAMI. Students also have the chance to check the XAT 2017 answer key on the website once it is published. Candidate’s OMR sheet along with the official answer key will be uploaded on the official website. After writing the exam, students can check the accuracy of their answers by matching them against the official answer key released by the examination conducting body.
Held in 47 test cities across India and in two international cities; Dubai and Kathmandu, XAT 2017 was attempted by about 90,000 students.
XAT 2017 score will be valid by 137 premium B-schools throughout the country. This includes the 11 member institutes of XAMI, listed below:
- XLRI Jamshedpur
- XISS Ranchi
- XIM Jabalpur
- XIM&R Mumbai
- XIM&E Bangalore
- XIM Bhubaneshwar
- St. Aloysius Institute
- St. Joseph’s College of Business Administration
- SFIMR Mumbai
- Mount Carmel Institute of Management Bangalore
- LIBA Chennai
The XAT cutoff will be released only once the XAT 2017 result is out. Based on this cut-off, the shortlist for GD-PI (Group Discussion and Personal Interview) will be published by the participating colleges.